Six Reasons Why Barack Obama is a Great President, via Anthony Bourdain
Anthony Bourdain’s six observations about his dinner with Obama over beer and bowls of Bun Cha, “a typical Hanoi dish,” in a working class section of the once embattled city. At the risk of sounding like a listicle headline, item #4 will make you smile.
- The President is very comfortable with chopsticks. He handled the sticky, hard to separate noodles that accompany the pork and the broth components of Bun Cha skillfully. He even went in for seconds.
- The President is an Asiaphile. He spoke wistfully of his time in Indonesia and his memories of the smells and flavors of street food there.
- He clearly enjoyed sitting on a low plastic stool eating bun Cha. It felt to me like his night off. Even with Secret Service lurking nearby.
- The reaction among regular people in Hanoi to the fact that the US President chose to eat Bun Cha was beyond all imagining. The effect was unbelievable. People were actually crying the next day, describing to me their shock and their pride, the reactions of their neighbors, to this completely unexpected choice of meal—and the venue.
- He was among the very few guests on my show who ever asked the camera crew if they got to eat too. And he made a point of taking a picture with all of them when we were done.
- I believe he enjoyed that beer.
Read remaining article